Maksimir Park is the oldest public park in Zagreb, Croatia. It forms part of the city’s cultural heritage and is a habitat for many different plant and animal species.
Founded in 1787, Maksimir Park was the first large public park in South-Eastern Europe, and predates the majority of Europe’s public park foundings. The park was opened in 1794 under the initiative of the man for whom it was named, Bishop Maksimilijan Vrhovac of Zagreb (1752–1827). At that time, the park was located on the outskirts of the city, although today it is surrounded by many of the city’s neighborhoods. It was formerly a dense forest of hornbeams (Carpinus betulus) and oaks (Quercus robur and Q. petraea). The remainder of the original forest survives as a girdle to the park, the area in total measuring above 1,005 acres (4.07 km2).
Zagreb’s Zoo also forms part of the park’s territory, located in the southern part of Maksimir Park.